Toronto has released preliminary results for the 2013 Street Needs Assessment, and it doesn’t look great:
- One in five homeless youth are gay/lesbian/bi/trans/queer.
- Half of the homeless are on a waiting list for subsidized housing.
- Vets make up 15% of the homeless population.
- The number of homeless senior citizens has doubled in the last three years.
- The homeless population in women’s shelters has doubled in the last seven years.
What has to happen before people get as upset about homelessness as they do not being allowed to drink in a park?